Cranial Center is proud to offer the latest technology for treating patients with deformational Plagiocephaly; The STARscanner laser data acquisition system.
The STARscanner is an effective and trusted system, used by leading practitioners and children’s hospitals for STAR cranial remolding orthosis treatment since 2001. The STARscanner was the first scanning system to receive clearance from the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in capturing infant head shape data. The STARscanner is classified and cleared by the FDA as a Class 1 laser-scanning device because it emits very low-power laser energy. Other examples of Class I laser products include laser printers, CD players and CD-ROM devices. Many other scanning technologies, however, are Class II, which means their lasers are stronger and may not be as safe for infants. The STARscanner technology has a published clinical paper that proves the efficacy of treatment for both the scanner and STARband cranial remolding orthosis.
- Replaces the traditional plaster casting process.
- Scanning process is eye-safe and takes less than two seconds to complete.
- Software reports detail head shape measurements and calculate craniofacial indices (including volumes, symmetry ratios, circumference, and linear measurements)
- Measures efficacy of cranial remolding orthosis treatment by documenting outcomes for physicians and parents.
- Documents effectiveness of physical therapy and repositioning efforts.
- Produces three-dimensional documentation of pre and post-operative head shape changes.
- Provides insurance companies with specific measurements, information, and quantitative outcome analysis.
How The STARscanner WorksThe baby lies in an open STARscanner bed, which is much like the baby weighing scale found in most pediatricians’ offices. While parents and clinician stand alongside, the eye-safe laser collects the baby’s head measurements. The measurements are immediately viewable on the clinician’s desktop as a 3-D image of the baby’s head shape that illustrates where reshaping needs to occur. STARscanner is the only scanner that illustrates and analyzes the baby’s head shape changes throughout treatment.
Watch Our Demo Video